“Maybe life is random
No fate. No God. Just time.
The concept of God escapes
me. Some all-powerful being,
who rules sometimes gently,
And often not so, all in the name
Of love? Who dreamed that up?
I see people who really believe
In God, in hope, in charity.
Mostly, they look pretty happy
And, on the surface, satisfied.
Christian. Like Christ. So why
Are so many Christians unlike him?
We don’t go to church, but in
My search for personal answers,
I have explored the Bible some.
(Weird, I know, but when you
Get no answers at all, you reach.)
The Old Testament is scary,
Filled with misery. That God
Was pretty creepy, all in all.
But Christ’s testament asks
For patience, harmony. Not war,
Nor ostracism. Not hate crimes, lies,
Or offering plates filled to the brim.
I wonder if there’s really a place
In heaven for hypocrites
Who preach love, all the while
Kicking the downtrodden.
Still, I might have bought into
The essence of Christ, except,
According to the scriptures, he
Also asked for understanding
And forgiveness, even of our
Enemies. And if he really expected
That, I could not pass muster.
Some people I’ll never forgive.”
- Ellen Hopkins
This is an excerpt from on of my favorite books by Ellen Hopkins. This is what I feel like life sometimes is. Ellen Hopkins is one of my favorite people. She knows how to put life into words. It's real alright!
Tuesday, April 20, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment